IFMR Fulltime PGDM 2017-19 Admission: FAQs
- Indian Nationals with consistent academic record (any discipline) who have completed a full time or part time graduation (but NOT correspondence/ distance education degree) from the universities recognized by AICTE/UGC are eligible to apply.
- Non Resident Indians who have studied abroad must get a certificate from the Indian Embassy or Consulate that their University is recognized by the statutory authorities (corresponding to our AICTE/UGC) of that country.
- Students who are in the final year of their graduation, AND are scheduled to complete their course including examinations and viva voce/ project etc., not later than May 2017, with results thereof scheduled to be available not later than November 2017, ARE also eligible to apply.
- All applicants are required to have a valid score from any of the following standardized examinations - CAT 2016, XAT 2017, CMAT 2017 or GRE/GMAT taken on or after 1st January 2014.
- However for the purpose of filling the application form, it is sufficient if the applicant has registered for any of these exams and is able to provide the registration number thereof, provided the results of the exam are available at the time of the selection process. Applicants will get an opportunity to upload their scores when the results of these exams are announced.
- IFMR will admit up to a maximum of 180 students for the 18th Batch of PGDM (2017-2019)
- Work experience is desirable but is NOT mandatory.
- IFMR has always had a healthy mix of fresh graduates and those with work experience.
- IFMR has two rounds of admission for the PGDM batch 18 (2017-19) - based on the challenges faced by working executives with regard to notice period, IFMR has added an additional round this year.
- The Early Decision Round is dedicated to those applicants with work experience of 12 months to 36 months as of 30th November 2016. This round is designed to enable selected applicants to fulfill their notice period and still join the program in time.
- The General Round is open to all applicants, who may or may not be currently employed.
- Candidates who have the required work experience and are currently not employed are welcome to apply through either round.
- Candidates without any work experience, or less than the required work experience (for the Early Decision Round), if shortlisted will be called for selection process only in the General Round.
- IFMR has two rounds of admission for the PGDM batch 18 (2017-19).
- The Early Decision Round is dedicated to those applicants with work experience of 12 months to 36 months as of 30th November 2016. The deadline for this round has been extended to Sunday 5th February. The selection process for this round will be held in February 2017.
- The General Round is open to all applicants, who may or may not be currently employed. The deadline for this round has been extended to Wednesday 15th February 2017. The selection process for this round will be held in March 2017.
- While CAT/XAT/CMAT percentiles or GRE/GMAT scores are an important component of the admission process, these are not the sole criteria for admission.
- The admission committee will also consider the applicant’s past academic performance, and performance in Personal Interview. For those who are multiple scores, the best would be considered.
- Further the admissions committee recognizes the importance of passion for achievement demonstrated even in non-academic endeavour such as, but not limited to, sports (represented country, state or district), NCC, Performing Arts (but NOT fine arts), volunteering, activism etc. and at the work place (of a corresponding level); those with track record in these areas, would get a relaxation with regard to cut off scores, provided they are otherwise eligible, and capable; however, there is no exemption from the requirement of a valid score in, at least one of CAT/XAT/CMAT/ GRE/GMAT regardless of any achievements.
Average Percentile CAT XAT CMAT Top 25% students 88 91 98 Middle 50% students 84 87 95 Bottom 25 % students 80 80 91
- Obviously there are students at IFMR with 99 percentile in CAT, XAT, CMAT and they are included in the table above as part of the top 25%
- Similarly there are students at IFMR with 75 percentile in CAT/ XAT or 86 percentile in CMAT, and they are included in the table above as part of the bottom 25%
- Those students with low percentiles would have got the benefit of achievements in various areas including sports, their work, etc. and those percentiles should not be treated as the cut off.
- We decide the cities in which to do the selection process based on the enquiries we receive between June and November, and also the preceding years’ numbers of shortlisted applicants from those cities.
- This year, to select the 18 th batch, (2017-19) we have two rounds of admission.
- For our Early Decision Round, the selection process scheduled in Jan-Feb 2017 is expected be held at the following 10 Indian cities - Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Pune – subject to a viable number of shortlisted candidates in each of these centers.
- For our General Round, the selection process scheduled in March 2017 is expected be held at the following 20 Indian cities, subject to a viable number of shortlisted candidates in each of these centers.
East Zone - Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata, Patna, Ranchi
North Zone – Chandigarh, Dehradun, Delhi, Jaipur, Lucknow
South Zone – Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Mangalore
West Zone – Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Mumbai, Pune, Raipur.
- Sometimes we do not get enough shortlisted applicants choosing one center and then it is not viable for us to travel to that city to meet only a few candidates. For e.g. last year, we had this problem with Vishakhapatnam. We then asked the few candidates who had selected Visakhapatnam as their center (in their admission form) to attend the selection process at any other center of their choice. All of them attended the process either at Hyderabad or at Bhubaneswar.
- While announcing the shortlist, we also announce the city wise dates of the selection process. So we need about a month after close of applications to complete the logistics.
- This year, to select the 18th batch, (2017-19) we have two rounds of admission.
- For our Early Decision Round, the selection process is scheduled in Jan-Feb 2017 and the shortlist for the same will be announced by the 18th of January 2017.
- For our General Round, the selection process is scheduled in Jan-Feb 2017 and the shortlist for the same will be announced by the 22nd February 2017.
The program is Postgraduate Diploma in Management (PGDM).
You can major in any of the following
Human Resources Management
Finance and Control
Operations and Information Systems
You can minor in any of above except Financial Engineering, and Data Sciences which are available only as a major; you can also minor in any of the following
BFSI (Banking Financial Services and Insurance)
Strategy and General Management
Please note the PG Diploma finally awarded by IFMR would not indicate the Major and Minor.
Most Business schools start with their MBA/PGDM start with this program, then go on to offer a Ph.D. program and finally try to get into corporate training, and consulting. On the other hand, IFMR was set up by corporates in 1970 to provide research based guidance (consulting and training) to corporates, and the government (state and central) and went on to offer a Ph.D. program because it ties in well with the research agenda.
Based on their excellent experience with IFMR faculty, and their own need for managers capable of handling the rapid transitions in the Indian and Global economy, corporates asked IFMR to setup a PGDM program. This program is driven by corporates, nurtured by corporates through their presence in the IFMR board and supported by corporates in the form of visiting faculty and guest lectures.
IFMR is neither a government sponsored institute nor an entrepreneur run institute. To paraphrase Lincoln, it is the business school of the corporates, by the corporates and for the corporates.Naturally, IFMR prepares you not just for a job, but for a career.
IFMR has a tradition of hiring the best minds from both India and abroad. We have faculty not only from the IITs and IIMs, but also from premier universities of the USA. IFMR has been the fore-runner of many policy initiatives and corporate innovations. Our students can access the stratospheric realms of hi-finance through IFMR Capital and IFMR Invesments as well as the grounded realities of financial inclusion through IFMR rural finance, IFMR rural channels, and IFMR centre for development finance. IFMR’s HT Parekh Library has electronic journal access through EBSCO, JSTOR and Science Digest, Corporate database prowess, Capita Line, etc. apart from a rich collection of books and multimedia material; It is recognized as a World Bank Repository.
Yes, we do – for details, please view the prospectus.
- Yes. IFMR has a 100% placement record since inception.
- Our alumni are well-placed in leadings firms across various sectors such as Investment Banking, IT, Insurance, Manufacturing, SCM, FMCG & Microfinance.
- The organizations include - Accenture, Akshaya, Amba Research, Astrazeneca, Bajaj Finance, Bank of America, Batlivala & Karani, BNP Paribas, Capgemini, Capital First Ltd, CBRE Group Inc., Chola Finance, Cognizant, Credit Suisse, Deloitte, FINO, Genpact, HCL, HDFC Bank, HSBC, Hyundai, ICICI Bank, IDFC Mutual Fund, i-Nautix, Infosys, Irevna, ITC, Janalakshmi Fin Serv., JP Morgan, Kotak Mahindra, L&T Nomura, Navitas Consulting, Novartis, Olam International, Rane Group, SBI Caps, Shell, South Indian Bank, Syntel, TCS, Temenos, Vedanta, Vernalis Systems, VoiceGate, Wipro, Zafin etc.
- While IFMR does not have an exclusive tie up with any bank, given the high credibility IFMR enjoys in the market, IFMR, is able to facilitate students availing educational loans from leading banks / financial institutions.
- Upon providing them the selection letter from IFMR, many banks and NBFCs will give loan without any collateral.
- Fresh graduates will need to have their parent or sibling or other earning member of their family sign their application form as co-guarantor.
- However, those with work experience may not even need a co-guarantor.
The total fee is Rs.12.00 lakhs for the two years. The fee covers tuition, books & materials, library membership, examination fee, and IT charges. The fee does not cover a Laptop and applicants are required to bring their own Laptop at their own cost. Given below is the schedule for payment of the fees..
|1. Admission cum first installment fee||Rs. 3,00,000/-|
|2. Refundable Caution Deposit (Both payable in March 2017 / April 2017 against offer of admission)||Rs. 50,000/-|
|3. Second installment fee during November 2017||Rs. 5,00,000/-|
|4. Third & final installment - June 2018||Rs. 4,00,000/-|
Living expenses will be extra and it is estimated that the boarding & lodging would together be approximately Rs.1,20,000/- per annum. For the first year, this is to be paid at time of registration at our campus in June 2017. For the 2nd year, it is payable in June 2018 while checking into the hostel.
IFMR is consistently ranked high among all B-Schools.
CRSIL (2015) has rated IFMR A** (at the national level) and A*** (at the State level)
National HRD Network (2016) has accorded the 27th Rank – among all colleges - private and government run.
The Hindu BusinessLine-MBAUniverse.com B-school ranking (2016) has accorded the 34th rank – among all colleges - private and government run.
Career 360 – an independent portal, has accorded 8th rank among private B’Schools .
- IFMR has built a world class campus spread over 40 acres in Sri City, 55 km from Chennai.
- Sri City is located strategically along National Highway-5 on the border of two industrialized States, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- It is India's fastest growing integrated Business City spread over 8000 acres, with a multi-product Special Economic Zone (SEZ), Domestic Tariff Zone (DTZ), Institutional and Lifestyle zones, master planned and designed to figure in any select list of Asia's top five Business Cities.
- IFMR's new campus is an academic Centre of Excellence in the midst of global organizations setting up world class manufacturing plants in Sri City to cater to Indian and export markets. These include Alstom, Kobelco, Danielli, Colgate, Cadburys, Pepsico, Kellogs, Isuzu Motors, and a large number of Japanese, American and European corporations.
- The Institute has a built-up area of 300,000 sq. ft. that covers the fully air conditioned main academic block, consisting of classrooms, computer labs, seminar halls, faculty cabins, library, meeting rooms, finance and accounts sections, placement cells, residential hostels, a cafeteria with dine-in services, faculty and staff housing and a Management Development Centre residence.
- The campus has been designed to give easy access to the physically challenged.
- Hostel rooms are equipped with attached baths, occupied on a twin-sharing basis.
- Separate gym for boys and girls and indoor games [table tennis, etc] is available.
- Facilities are provided for playing badminton, cricket, football, volley ball courts, and more, help students unwind and relax after hours of classes.
- An open air auditorium and more recreation facilities have also been set up.
- A beautiful water body, a walkway and enough greenery makes the campus aesthetically and physically soothing.
- The entire campus is Wi-fi enabled. Complete security and safety are built in as basic requirements.
The Medical officer (doctor) appointed by the Institute visits twice a week on Saturday and Sunday. In case of emergencies the Institute arranges for the visit of doctors on other days. Alternately the students could use the facilities of Frontline Hospital at Sri City.
From Chennai International Airport – The Institute is at a driving distance of 85 km – about 1 hour 45 mins from Chennai International Airport.
From Tirupathi International Airport – The Institute is at a driving distance of 75 km – about 1 hour 30 mins from Tirupathi International Airport.
From Chennai Central Railway Station - The Institute is at a driving distance of 70 km – about 1 hour 30 mins from Chennai Central Railway Station.
From Sullurpeta Railway Station - The Institute is at a driving distance of 22 km – about 20 mins from Sullurpeta Railway Station.
From Tada Railway Station - The Institute is at a driving distance of 9 km – about 10 mins from Tada Railway Station.
From Koyambedu Bus Station (CMBT -Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus) – Sri City, is at a distance of 55 Kms, i.e. 2 km before TADA town on the NH5. There are buses leaving Chennai Koyamedu Bus Stand at least once every half an hour on the NH5. Since TADA is the first stop within AP, all buses leaving Chennai for AP will pass through TADA (bus fare is around Rs 50)
There is a shuttle service operated by Sri City (P) Ltd, by which one can travel between TADA and IFMR campus. This shuttle runs every half hour b/w 7 am and 6 pm. Apart from this share autos ply this route and are also available for hire on exclusive basis.
Tada: From Chennai Central the closest Railway Station to Sri City is Tada. There are local trains running almost every hour to and from Chennai Central to Tada Railway Station. Travel time by Chennai Local Train to Tada is 1.45 minutes.
Schedule of Daily Trains from Chennai Central to TADA:
Schedule of Daily Trains from TADA to Chennai Central: